Tuesday, January 24, 2012

King Cake 101


Much to my disapproval (because I am trying to diet) my daughter brought in our first King Cake of the 2012 Mardi Gras Season.  Every time she has seen one this year she has tried to put it in the buggy, and I said NO.  Well mistake #1 was sending her to the grocery store by herself with a small list Saturday afternoon.  So I go out to the car to help her unload the groceries.  She was bent down in the trunk carefully getting out an awkward bag and she did not see me standing there, and as she turns around with the bag in hand, she meets me eye to eye (with a deer caught in the headlights look) the first thing out of her mouth was, "Mom, I am sorry, don't be mad at me, It just looked so yummy and fresh).  Like I was really going to be mad, but I laughed so hard at her apology and explanation for the purchasing of the King Cake.
For those of you whom have no idea what I am taking about when I refer to our "First King Cake of the 2012 Mardi Gras Season".  
Here is King Cake 101:

HISTORY BEHIND MARDI GRAS KING CAKE
The King Cake is believed to have originated in France around the 12th Century.  These early Europeans celebrated the coming of the three wise men bearing gifts twelve days after Christmas calling it the feast of the Epiphany, Twelfth Night or King's Day.

The main part of the celebration was the baking of a King Cake to honor the three Kings.  The cakes were made circular to portray the circular route used by the Kings to get to the Christ Child.  In these early King Cakes, a bean a pea or a coin was hidden inside the cake.  The person who got the hidden piece was declared King for the day, or was said to have good luck in the coming year.

As for the Home of Mardi Gras, Twelfth Night also signifies the beginning of the Carnival season, which ends on Mardi Gras Day.  The beans, peas and coins have been replaced by a small plastic baby to symbolize the Christ Child. The person who gets the baby is expected to carry on the carnival festivities by hosting the next King Cake Party.
 Yes, of course, I have cut into the King Cake more than a couple of times to find out that I had the BABY.  And as lame as it may sound to some, it is so exciting to those of us that are a part of the Mardi Gras Tradition.
If you are wondering if it is as good as it is pretty.
YES.  Here is what is left of ours!
Some of you may have now found yourself wishing that you could have a Mardi Gras King Cake.  Well, you can.  There are plenty of places in the Mobile, Alabama and New Orleans area that specialize in the baking of King Cakes and shipping them to any place your heart desires.

So You Should Google Today and Find Out Where You Can Get Yours.  And If You Can't Find A Place, Just Drop Me A Note Below and I Can Hook You Up.
Hoping You Find The Baby!!!

Cindy Lou...

4 comments:

  1. Daniel and Britney brought us our first one of the season Sunday....YUM. Paul's King Cakes are always SO good! Made in Mississippi but I know Hope's Cheesecakes in Gulf Shores distributes for them :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hannah bought ours at Wal-Mart and it was the freshest one we have ever had. I have even bought them in Nola and they were not as good. And on top of it all - I do not even like sweets.

      Delete
  2. Honestly to date I haven't really had a BAD king cake.....but surprisingly Rouse's here has great cakes at a decent price.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Okay, So I am jealous! We have yet to find a king cake in the almost 9 years we have lived here in North Carolina. I remember eating them all the time in Alabama. :)

    ReplyDelete