Thursday, December 29, 2011

Cool Sand Beneath My Feet

WOW...  Christmas for my family was wonderful and very busy this year.  Thanks to my new addiction Pinterest I took on way to many projects for the 2 week time frame that I had to work with.  But I put it all aside to spend some time with my 2 daughters, my mother and some special friends.  I even found some time for me.  

I will take you along on one of my adventures.  A 4 mile (round trip) hike through the Bon Secour National Wildlife Refuge - Pine Beach Trail.  And I must say that not only was this my first time to take this hike.  But it most definitely was worth every step of that 4 miles.

Map of the trail from start to finish.  

You enter the parking lot of Pine Beach Trail from Fort Morgan Road in Gulf Shores, Alabama.  Along the first mile of the trail you are walking through a Maritime Forest full of huge live oaks draped in spanish moss and ends at Gator Lake and Little Lagoon.  At this point there is a two story observatory where you will find a spectacular view.


Views Through The Maritime Forest
 Through these Live Oaks & Saw Palmetto you will find swamps.
 Little white cotton puffs of lichen called Reindeer Moss was everywhere.
Lots of bright red Swamp Holly for the Birds to Nom Nom on.
 Although not a fan of Termites - They were far from starved along this trail.
Saw Palmetto scattered throughout the Maritime Trail.


Views From The Observatory Overlooking Gator Lake and Little Lagoon


 Bridge over Gator Lake
(notice the bridges reflection underneath the bridge)
 Bridge over Gator Lake
 Bridge over Gator Lake
 Reflection of the Sky in Gator Lake
Little Lagoon

At this point the trail crosses over the two channels of water for the second mile of the walk through the sand dunes and to the beaches of the Gulf of Mexico.  While walking this stint of the hike I took off my shoes and walked in the cool sand.  The sights completely changed as if I were on an entirely different adventure.  There was much evidence throughout this part of the trail of the devastation of Hurricanes Fredric (9-12-79) and Ivan (9-16-04) and Katrina (2005).  Remains of decaying old beach houses and scars on trunks of pine trees from floating debris.

Views Across the Channel through the Sand Dunes & to the Beautiful Gulf of Mexico.
 Pine trees with floating debris scars & overlooking Little Lagoon.
 Had me within a bird's eye range.
 Remains of a decaying old beach house.
 Remains of a decaying old beach house.
 
Remains of a decaying old beach house.
 Sand Live Oak - Dwarf version of a Live Oak.
 Dunes
 Sand Pine
 Final stretch of the hike.
 I Have Arrived - 2 Miles and NO Regrets.
 Of course the beaches behind this sign were covered in Big Shells.
 Shell Covered Beach.
 Breathtaking... 
 I Could Never Grow Tired Of This View.
And I must travel back to where the trail began!!!

I hope you enjoyed the views of my hike.

Cindy Lou...


1 comment: